For years, people have turned to LASIK eye surgery to gain visual freedom away from glasses and contacts. However, the best results not only come from how well your surgeon performs, but also how you take care of your eyes after the procedure.
As leaders in refractive eye surgeries, Durrie Vision wants to educate all of our patients about the LASIK surgery recovery time and instructions they should follow. For that reason, we always provide detailed instructions outlining exactly what you should and should not do following surgery.
Keep reading for general information about what to expect in the following hours after your LASIK procedure.
How long is the average LASIK surgery recovery time?
After undergoing SBK Advanced LASIK, most patients have clear vision within 24 hours of their procedure. Keep in mind this does vary from person to person. While one person may have noticeably improved vision by the 24 hour mark, another may take slightly longer to recover.
What happens during those initial 24 hours?
Immediately following surgery, your eyes will remain numb for 20 to 30 minutes, so it’s important for you to remember to blink! Other common and expected side effects include:
- Mild Discomfort
- Blurred Vision
- Glares and halos at night
- Dry eyes
- Light sensitivity
Throughout the night, you can expect those symptoms to improve or disappear all together.
What kind of post-operative instructions should I follow after LASIK?
To add in the healing process, the following post-operative instructions should be followed:
- Remember to blink even though your eyes will remain numb for about 20 to 30 minutes
- Use your preservative-free artificial tears frequently
- Do not rub or bump your eyes
- Wear sunglasses to protect your eyes from the sun and wind
- Take NSAIDS (i.e. ibuprofen) to alleviate discomfort as needed
- Wait until bedtime to go to sleep (no naps)
- Wear eye shields while you sleep for two nights
- Avoid getting soap and water in your eyes when showering
- Do not apply makeup until after your one day follow-up exam
- No swimming for a week and wear goggles the second week
- No swimming or other activities in the ocean for a month
During your consultation, your surgeon can tell you more about specific guidelines you should follow for more detailed care.
Learn more about LASIK surgery recovery time with Durrie Vision
Our number one goal is to help our patients better maneuver through life with the best vision possible. With each patient, we start with an in-depth consultation process. In fact, we take our consultations so seriously that it has its own name—Advanced Ocular Analysis (AOA). During your AOA, we’ll go through a series of the most advanced diagnostic tests to gauge which procedure will be the best option to reach your vision goals.
No matter the procedure, we use innovative laser technology to maximize precision so our patients receive the best results possible. We stick with our patients every step of the way, from the consultation all the way to the final visit.
For over 30 years, our doctors at Durrie Vision have been leaders in refractive surgery, offering all six options available today. To get started, schedule your AOA or take our easy, online self-candidacy test.